Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours are a brilliant way to take in the sights along the promenade and such an iconic, traditional part of Blackpool!
Blackpool Promenade Heritage Tram Tours
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours run every weekend and daily during most UK school holidays.
Catch a non-stop Heritage Tram at special stops, up to every 20 minutes between 10am and 5pm. Different trams run on different days, subject to weather and which are available.
Plus – did you know that tours can be split into 2 trips?
This means you could travel to the other end of the promenade, have a fun morning/afternoon/day out, and travel back in style!
Adult just £3.50, child £2 and under 5’s go free!
See Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours on Facebook for details of times and which trams are running on which days
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours presents – The Ghost Tram
With your host the Victorian Ghost Hunter Stephen Mercer
Fridays at 7.30pm, last approx 90 minutes
- 27 July,
- 3, 10 & 17 August,
- 7, 14, 21 & 28 September,
- 5, 19 & 26 October
- Plus a Halloween special on 31 October!
Ghost tours start with Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours start at the North Pier Heritage Tram Stop. They return to North Pier at the end of the tour.
Tickets £9.50 adults and £4 children.
£21 for a family of 4 – 2 adults and 2 children under 16
Tickets must be pre-booked. Call Emma on 01253 209521 or email email@example.com Please mention that you saw it on Visit Fylde Coast!
The Great British Night Out
16 Aug, 13 Sept* & 11 Oct*
Enjoy fish and chips, everyone’s traditional seaside favourite, actually on a tram with Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours. Have a Great British Night Out!
- Board the tram from 7pm at North Pier Heritage Tram Stop, supper served on board and the tram departs at 7.30pm
- Fish and chips from Harry Ramsden’s on a tram (plus mushy peas of course! and your choice of drink) AND a one hour Heritage Tram Tour!
- TICKETS MUST BE PRE-BOOKED.
- Ring Emma on 01253 209521 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and please mention you saw it on Visit Fylde Coast!
Great value from £12 – *13 Sept and 11 Oct are £15 and include a tour of the Illuminations
August Bank Holiday Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours
August 25 to 27 from 10am to 5.30pm
An action packed weekend of enhanced Heritage Tram action in Blackpool.
September Spectacular Heritage Tram Tours
September 22 and 23 from 10am to 5.30pm
Frequent Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours, rarely seen trams on display at Rigby Road, pre-booked depot tours and much more!
Winter Heritage Tram Tours
November 24 and 25 from 10am to 5.30pm
Enjoy some winter Heritage! Frequent Promenade tram tours, variety of trams in action, official souvenirs available.
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours
You can enjoy Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours on the promenade every weekend throughout the season until November. Check back in 2018 for the new timetable and season start dates.
On selected weekends there are enhanced services for special events, plus Heritage Trams operate daily during peak holiday weeks at Easter, Spring Bank, for the summer and school half term holidays.
Different trams from the Heritage fleet operate on different days – and on beautiful sunny days the open-top tram cars come out too!
Choose from different ticketing options. Ride there and back just for the experience, or hop on and off throughout the day.
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours timetables here
A Winter Refresh for Box 40
Tramcar Box 40 has been treated to some remedial work to arrest deterioration and to preserve a smart appearance for this popular tram.
It now looks very spruce once more, and is all set for another season of use carrying its happy passengers on Heritage Tours of the Blackpool Tramway!
Visit Santa on a Blackpool Heritage Tram
Visit Santa onboard the Western Train Tram. Plus, enjoy a Heritage Tram Tour between 10am and 4pm.
Saturdays 8, 15 and 22 December 2018 Please mention that you saw it here!
Blackpool’s No 1 Attraction!
Did you know – that in 2017 you voted the Blackpool Tramway as the no 1 attraction in Blackpool on TripAdvisor?
Break your Journey
Did you know – that when you buy Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours ticket that you can break your journey?
That means you can travel between North Pier and Blackpool Pleasure Beach as you wish – get off – do whatever – and then get back on again later in the same day for your return journey.
At just £3.50 for an adult ticket, that’s unbeatable value! (And a well hidden fact!)
Take a Ride on a Heritage Blackpool Tram
With Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours you can enjoy an experience like no other, as you take a ride along the world famous Blackpool Tramway aboard a piece of moving history along the fantastic seafront of this world famous seaside resort.
Up until 2011, the “Heritage” cars were the service fleet trams. Operating every day except Christmas Day, they travelled along the tram lines, carrying residents and visitors from A to B. A multi-million pound upgrade transformed Blackpool’s tramway – the tracks were all relaid and a new, modern fleet of low-floor trams are now the service fleet.
However, the original Blackpool trams – with their distinctive ‘clickety-clack’ as they drive along – are much loved and as integral to Blackpool as fish and chips and the donkeys on the beach – so a core selection of trams from the original system were kept and returned to passenger carrying duties once more.
Many of these original trams are over 80 years old and have been retained and superbly restored. It’s a unique experience as nowhere else in the UK can you still ride on a Heritage Tram on the line for which it was originally built.
Blackpool Heritage Trams run most weekends throughout the year, daily during most UK school holidays and, of course, operate our famous Autumn Illumination Tours where you can ride aboard one of the illuminated trams.
Trams for Hire
Along with our Heritage Buses, the trams are also available for hire to help you celebrate your special occasion.
So, whether you want to hire a tram, join us for one of our regular events or just enjoy a very special ride along Blackpool’s Promenade, we have something to offer for everyone.
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours FAQs and Helpful Hints!
• Can we pre-book tours? – Generally No, just turn up and pay the conductor on board The only pre-bookable tours are Great British Night Out, Guided Tours and Ghost Tours
• Do you operate every day? – Promenade Tours operate most weekends & school holidays Illumination Tours operate every evening during the Illuminations except Switch On night Illumination Tours start from Switch-On time until 9pm Sun-Thurs & until 10pm Fri/Sat
• Do you operate tours on Switch On night – No, we start on Saturday 2nd September This is because the Tramway is closed at Tower Headland for The Switch On event
• What time is best to catch an Illumination Tour? – The first tours are always busiest and then get quieter during the evening, an hour after switch on time is best for a shorter wait! Friday/Saturday are busiest! Tours take just over an hour and operate around every 20 minutes.
• Where do we catch an Illuminations Tour? – ONLY from Pleasure Beach Heritage Stop you can alight an Illuminations tour at other Heritage Tram Stops on the return journey
• Are all trams illuminated? – We use a mix of Illuminated and Heritage trams You get a great view of the Illuminations from the Top deck of our Double Deckers!
• Can I get off and rejoin a tour (split tour)? – Daytime tours-Yes, Illumination tours-No
• Are Blackpool Transport Saver/Day/24/One tickets valid on Heritage Tram Tours – No Heritage Day Tickets are available which also include modern tram and bus services
• Can we buy Heritage Day Tickets on all trams and buses – Yes, Heritage Day Tickets can be bought on any Blackpool Transport bus or tram service, remember and ask for HERITAGE! Heritage Day Tickets: Adult £11, Child £6, Family £25 – includes all tours/buses/trams
• Can we buy Heritage Tram Tickets online or on the Blackpool Transport App – No
• Can we pay by Debit/Credit Card – No, we only accept £cash on our tours
• Are concession passes accepted on Heritage Trams – No, these are not valid for tours
• Are Heritage Day Tickets valid for 24 hours – No, only valid on the day of purchase
• Can I hire a Heritage Tram – Yes, call Emma on 01253 209521 for more details!
All of the heritage Tramcars, are, by definition, old! They need tender loving care, maintenance, and in many cases restoration.
Many of them have been moved to different places, different collections, and different owners – so there are opportunities to bring some of them back home, restore them and, one by one, add them to the operational fleet.
Blackpool Heritage Trust have been fundraising for the restoration of two exciting additions to the fleet. They can’t do it without your help so a BIG thank you goes to everyone who has supported these two appeals:
Paisley & District tramcar no.16 of 1904 (later Glasgow 1016)
Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours ‘phase one’ project is to restore the 4-wheel truck from this tramcar to create a rolling chassis onto which we can then rebuild the body.
To complete this we need four brand new steel tyres, at a cost of £500 each. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to the cost.
Once we have the foundations of the tram in place, work can then progress towards rebuilding the body and recreating the missing components that will allow Paisley 16 to take its place on Blackpool’s Promenade within a reasonable timescale.
This is a dash panel from Paisley 16 from the later stage of its working life when it was Glasgow 1016. You can see from the state of it how large a task is ahead in restoring it to as-new condition!
Blackpool Illuminated Hovertram of 1963
The Blackpool Hovertram returned to us in September 2016 after almost a decade away and having spent periods of time in both Beith, Scotland, and Sunderland. Latterly in the ownership of the North Eastern Electrical Traction Trust (NEETT), the tram initially came back to us on a long term loan.
However, NEETT have now presented us with a unique opportunity to actually purchase the Hovertram outright, which will allow it to remain as part of the Blackpool collection, in perpetuity. We feel that this is an opportunity that we should not miss, as it will reunite the entire 1960’s illuminated collection under one umbrella and in their original home at Rigby Road.
NEETT have very generously agreed to accept a figure of around half of the £7000 that they have themselves invested in the tram in terms of purchase, moving and storage. We have therefore raised £3,500 to allow the famous illuminated Hovertram to stay in Blackpool, where it belongs!
Again, many thanks to you all for your donations. No matter how big or small they are very much appreciated, and will help us to secure the future of the Hovertram here in Blackpool. Donors of £500 or more will be invited to come and inspect the tram themselves, and to hear first hand about our plans for its future return to use.
Make a Donation
Although these two particular appeals are now funded, if you would like to make a donation to Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours it would be so very welcome. There are always ongoing appeals and work to maintain and preserve our unique transport heritage.
To donate please send a cheque payable to “Blackpool Heritage Trust” to 16 Seventh Avenue, Blackpool, FY4 2ED
Alternatively, we would very much appreciate monthly standing orders. This form of regular contribution allows us to forward plan our projects, and will help us to build on our achievements so far and deliver the world class collection of Heritage trams that we all desire to see.
Find out More
Have a look at the Visit Fylde Coast website homepage for more of the latest updates.
If you love the Fylde Coast you ought to sign up for our weekly email newsletter. It’s packed full of interesting things and will arrive in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.
Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast